Wednesday 12 February 2014

Ride on the Quad bike - Romantic or traumatic?



                                       




"zum zum zzzuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmm" I accelerated our quad bike like a toddler, armed with the knowledge that the engine is turned off.

"They are toy-like. I am having super fun" I declared to my husband who indulged himself in doing some paper work.

"what are you scribbling over there?" I try to sneak over his shoulder but he shuns me not before I chance a glance on the consent form.

"This stuff isn't dangerous?  or IS IT?" I sound carefully careless, as I buckle my golden yellow helmet.

"Not at all. Its far safer than your favourite Under-sea-walk" he replies acidly. He is upbeat with this quad thing as if he is bitten by the so called radioactive-spider.

"Causalities were reported indeed. Toppled bikes, you know, falls and all" Rohith, our co-honeymooner added in quiet an offhand manner.

"But we have guides accompanying us. I suppose nothing happens to us" his wife shruti quickly reassured me.

we took a trial round. My hub carefully navigates me through the mud path which is deliberately strewn with rocks and swamps. I cling to him tightly thinking "This might look romantic but honestly it's not-to-get-traumatic".

The gates were about to open. We were about to explore the wild. The beast-of-a-bike which was softly purring under us sprang a roar (as he accelerated). I squeezed my eyes shut to say a quick prayer when I heard shruti saying "You trusted your life with him...trust him with the bike too. Just enjoy the ride". Rohith and shruthi zoomed past us on their bike starring Dhoom4.

The forest unveiled for us. A bunch of wild piglets welcomed us. I tumbled with laughter only to gasp within seconds at an ostrich crossing paths with us. The guide warned us not to mess with it as they spotted her nesting some lucky eggs. We  took a turn and stood face-to-ass with a pack of zebras.

"Hey Marty, wherez Alex and Gloria?" I called out to the Madagascarian zebra which is different from the rest cos of its black stripes on a white mane as opposed to the general white stripes on the black.

"Go for a walk with the big cats. 600 MSUD per head. You can find Alex, Aaslan simba zuba wotever" the guide winked at me. 

we reached a clearing in the middle of the forest where the bikes were halted for a while and we pounced on a herd of deers. They gave us the 'Paparazi-are-here-again' look. They posed unflinchingly to the infinite clicks, their pupils in 'auto-acclimatization-to-the-camera-flashes' mode.

 "There is no reason to worry. This is sheer fun" I said to myself as I remounted the little beast which purred maliciously.  

Hub, bitten by the radioactive spider evolved in to a super hero by now. Cocksure of my mellow moods he headed for those killer-mid-air-summersaults.

  He guffawed as he squirted through a muddy puddle. I'm Pissed off with his antics but I hold on. He takes a sharp cut here and there giving me a neck-breaking-spine-bending ride.

"slow down chinnu...you are giving me a heart ache" I pleaded but the gush of air deafened him. He is flying while my heart is sinking.

 "oops...chinnu, my zip is giving away" I let out a panicked shriek. (I wore a chudidaar which needs to be zipped up in the front.)

"Big deal! you can always borrow my shirt" he grinned like the ever-ready-to-strip-Khan.  I can't help but to smile at the livewire I got married to. I hug him even tighter, this time little more romantic than dramatic.

The rest of this mad roller coaster ride had bum hitting bumps, lump giving lows and heartening highs but we took them all with the same gut bursting laughter.





No comments:

Post a Comment