Friday 12 April 2013

Secret recipe


"ouch! Its spicy" my daughter complained with tears flooding her eyes and juices flooding her mouth as she tried the new cuisine.  

"Mom! Make it sweeter" my son implored holding out a tin of jiggery.  

"Nah! Dad is a diabetic. I'll make it tangy" I announced tersely adding liberal amounts of tamarind juice.

"Woman! which school did u go to? you seem not to have any idea how bitter it is and yet you call it sour?" my husband commented.

"But I haven't added much of the Neem inflorescence which is 'The key' ingredient" I objected without picking my nerves at the insult. "By the way didn’t your school teach of the vermicidal effects of Neem?" I added in a false sweet voice.

"There should have been more nectar in the dish than in your sarcasm" he swiftly emptied the bottle of the honey.

"Now that’s a disaster" hassled to the core, I necked them out of the kitchen crying "too many cooks spoil the broth"

"But mom. I boasted you are the best chef on the planet when I invited my friends. Please live up to the reputation" my son pleaded through the hinges of the closed door.

"I'm not here to make a fruit salad.  Its Ugadi pachadi (pickle) and one can't ignore the traditional recipe" I retorted without turning back. I leaned on the kitchen counter as I recollected my grandmother's secret recipe.
                                      *                              *                                *                                 *

"Ammu! Ugadi marks the beginning of the Telugu calendar. It falls on a chaitra sudda padyami day when the star Aswini takes precidence" she explained elaborately.  "It's our belief that what goes around this day, comes around this year. so my child! Make sure you live the best out of this day".

"I'll ingrain it in my mind Ammamma (maternal grandmother) but serve me more of thet delicious Ugadi pachadi" I chirped like the koko bird preched on the branches of the florid neem tree.

"Here you go" she added generous amounts of the sweet-sour-chilli-bitter pickle to my cup.

"ummmmmmmmm" I groaned relishing it. My nose crinkled and the corners of my eyes creased with pleasure lines as I gorged on the tangy bits of raw mango bated in the tamarind-honey syrup.

"Like it?" she asked affectionately stroking the side of my cheek.

"Finger licking good but for those Neem flowers" I complained coyly.  "Why don’t you alter the recipe?" I suggested wryly.

"well! If you keenly decipher , there is a good lot of philosophy in it. It is a shadruchi pakam. There are 6 tastes in it. Sweet symbolizes love & affection. Salt signifies the strength of victory. Sour for excitement. Umami for jealousy. Chilly for the red-hot-temper and the bitter neems portray the bitterness of life" she added knowledgably.

"Yea! I understand but why don't we choose only happiness?"  I persisted.
"I wish we could" Ammamma said with a long sigh "but one can appreciate the light only when he suffered the dark. Love attracts hurt. victory attracts jealousy. They are simply complimentary to each other. One should learn to hit a balance - The state of Stitapragnata" she talked in jargon. " Never pray not to have troubles Ammu. Pray for the strength to fight them. Embrace whatever comes your way and you'll be happy forever" she concluded to a huge round of applause from her only audience.
                                           *                              *                                *                                 *

Falling back to the present day, I thought  "I'll bring up my children to the state of stitapragnata ammamma. I promise. How I wish they are blessed with all the happiness of this world!" That instant I realized my grandmother wished me the same yet she taught me to be prepared to face the challenges fate throws at our face.

Right now the challenge poking me right in the eye is my son's prove-ur-culinary-expertise. With no second thought I folded my sleeves to quench the raving appetites of those 10+ teenagers my son invited home, with rasmalai's and samosas.

No comments:

Post a Comment